This workshop and lecture series is a joint project of ETH Zurich and the Universities of St. Gallen and Zurich, and is currently organized by Stefan Bechtold, Hans Gersbach, Andreas Heinemann, Gérard Hertig and Daniel Hürlimann. The series provides an overview of current interdisciplinary research on innovation, intellectual property, antitrust and technology policy. Scholars from law, economics, management, computer science, psychology and related fields give a lecture and/or present their current research. All speakers are internationally well-known experts from Europe, the U.S., and beyond.
The workshop and lecture series includes a mix of speakers who represent the wide range of current social science research methods applied to innovation, intellectual property, antitrust and technology policy. In particular, theoretical models, empirical and experimental research as well as legal research methods are represented.
The papers presented are available via the course web page. Complementary literature includes:
- William Landes / Richard Posner, The Economic Structure of Intellectual Property Law, 2003
- Suzanne Scotchmer, Innovation and Incentives, 2004
- Menell, Peter S. / Scotchmer, Suzanne: Intellectual Property Law, in: Polinsky / Shavell (eds.), Handbook of Law and Economics, Volume 2, Amsterdam 2007, pp. 1471-1570
- Bronwyn Hall / Nathan Rosenberg (eds.), Handbook of the Economics of Innovation, 2 volumes, Amsterdam 2010
- Bronwyn Hall & Dietmar Harhoff, Recent Research on the Economics of Patents, Annual Review of Economics 4 (2012), 541-565
- Robert Litan (ed.), Handbook on Law, Innovation and Growth, Cheltenham 2011
- Paul Belleflamme / Martin Peitz, Industrial Organization: Markets and Strategies, Cambridge 2010
- Einer Elhauge / Damien Geradin, Global Competition Law and Economics, 2007
- Dennis Carlton / Jeffrey Perloff, Modern Industrial Organization, 4th edition, 2004
- Martin Peitz / Joel Waldfogel, The Oxford Handbook of the Digital Economy, Oxford 2012
- September 2013 issue of the Journal of Industrial Economics
- Stefan Bechtold, Law and Economics of Copyright and Trademark on the Internet, in: Durlauf/Blume (eds.), The New Palgrave Dictionary of Economics, online edition, Palgrave Macmillan, 2013
- Robert Merges, Economics of Intellectual Property Law, 2014 forthcoming in Parisi (ed.), Oxford Handbook of Law & Economics
All events are open to the public.
The workshop and lecture series has been offered every fall semester since 2008. In various years, additional researchers were involved in the organization of the series: Rolf H. Weber (2010), David Basin (2011), Daniel Chen (2013 and 2014), Hans Gersbach (2013), Georg von Krogh (2013) and Daniel Hürlimann (since 2016).
For more information on other law & economics-related workshop & lecture series in Zurich, see here.